As humans, we don’t have the power to stop or prevent storms and other calamities from happening. They are bound to happen especially if you live in an area that’s prone to extreme weather conditions. What should you do if you’ve just encountered a terrible storm in Lake in the Hills IL? This post will help you find a roofing contractor that specializes in storm damage repairs and replacements.
Different Types of Storm Damage
If you want to know how to find a roofing contractor that can solve your storm damage dilemmas, you have to understand the cause of the problem. Hence, we’ve shortlisted the most common types of storm damage and the signs that point to them.
Let’s now jump right into it…
Water damage is scary and dangerous because it can go unnoticed for several days and up to many weeks. After a flooding experience or a terrible storm, you may not immediately spot water damages especially if the exposed parts have already run dry. It’s also difficult to assess the level of damages because there’s a need for specific tools and skills.
Why should you treat water damages at the onset? Below are some critical reasons why you shouldn’t ignore water damages:
- It can cause water contamination that can lead to severe waterborne diseases.
- Can harbor the growth of bacteria and molds.
- Serious structural damages that can trigger emergency collapses.
- Damage to valuable possessions like expensive furniture, gadgets, electronics, important documents, and more.
To find out if you’re property is suffering from water damages, here are the clues that you have to watch out for:
- Wall and ceiling discolorations/stains
- Sagging and leaking roof
- Water spots and damp areas
- Swollen or expanded wood
- Foul and musty odor
Hail damages are caused by ice pellets called hailstones. They vary in sizes. Some of them are found to be as tiny as a pea while some are big as a golf ball. Hail is considered as a form of solid precipitation that can be destructive not only to your roof but to other exposed possessions and vegetations.
This type of storm damage is one of the easiest to detect because of the obvious marks that it leave behind. You may notice scratches and dents that don’t have a pattern as they may hit any part of your house randomly like raindrops.
These are the most common areas where hail damage can be found:
- Siding and Windows
- Gutters and Downspouts
- Roof Shingles
Here are the initial signs of the hail damage that a professional roofing contractor can find:
- Damp and Soft Spots – If you press your finger on certain areas of your roof and found it to be soft and damp, it’s probably a result of the hail storm. The roof should always be sturdy and hard but because of hail damage, it can change drastically.
- Broken and Missing Roof Shingles – Roof shingles should always be intact. If the hail storm intensity was too strong, it can hit the roof surface directly to create the damages.
- Deep Cuts and Punctures – Hailstones can leave behind marks like deep cuts and punctures on the roof surface that can lead to more serious issues like roof leaks.
Wind is a strong force. While most residential roofing systems are wind-resistant, we can never underestimate its strength and power. In extreme cases like tornadoes or hurricanes, wind can completely tear-off an entire roof.
Aside from blowing off your roofs, wind can also trigger trees, debris, and huge branches to land on the roof’s surface. It can even knock down heavy structures that can pound on your Lake in the Hills IL properties directly.
What are the common signs of wind damage? Here are the things to watch out for…
- Roof Damages – You may notice some missing parts of your roof that may have been blown away or realigned due to the strong winds.
- Cracks – Wind can create cracks on your walls and structure depending on its intensity. Paint can also chip away due to a very strong gust of wind.
- Dents – Like hailstones, wind also has the capability to leave dents on your windows, siding, walls, and other exposed areas of the house.
How to Find a Roofing Contractor to Fix Storm Damages
Storm damage can get overwhelming but you have to think and act fast. The more you let time pass, the more serious it can get. It can potentially cause accidents and health-related concerns, hence, you should know how to find a roofing contractor fast.
Want to know the best way to find a roofing contractor? The role of a storm damage roofing company is extremely crucial. They will be the one to assess the level of damages and propose necessary actions. Wrong recommendations can worsen the situation. Hence, you have to learn how to filter roofing companies according to their capabilities, skills, knowledge, tools, and more.
Dealing with roofing contractors should be fast and efficient if you found the right one. But the question is — how to find the right roofing contractor? Here are the things that you can do…
Get Local Recommendations
The quickest way to find a storm damage expert is by asking for local recommendations. Start with your own circle that would include coworkers, relatives, neighbors, etc. Leads coming from them are valid because of their first-hand encounter with these companies.
Check Business Listings
“How to find a roofer in my area?” Search through credible websites and business listings to find roofing contractors that are accessible to you. You can also find information about the services that they can offer which could lead you closer to the best roofer.
These are some of the websites that you can check:
- Social media sites like Facebook and LinkedIn
- Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Angie’s List
- Home Advisor
- Home Depot
- National Roofing Contractors Association (NCRA)
What Happens Next?
If you already know how to find a roofing contractor, what should happen next? Storm damages are like a ticking timebomb. Every second count so you have to make sure that you don’t waste any of it.
These are the proper steps to help solve your roofing problems more efficiently:
- Secure a copy of the roofing company’s business permits and licenses.
- Call the local city office to check if they are duly registered.
- Upon verification, call the company to request an estimate. (Important reminder: You need to review multiple proposals, around 2-3, in order to find the best option.)
- Specifically inquire about their storm damage services, emergency response system, warranties, and storm damage insurance assistance.
- Schedule an inspection and process your roof insurance simultaneously.
A licensed roofing company knows how to handle all kinds of storm damage. When you’ve found the right match, it would help lessen your worries and give you the peace of mind that you deserve. Moreover, your health and safety are the top priorities which you’d be able to protect with the help of a trusted roofing company.
If you want to know how to find a roofing contractor, you need to be aware of the signs pointing to the right one. For your guidance, be sure to check the tips we listed above.
The most important tip that we can leave you is to act fast and act smart. Don’t ignore the warning signs and always be two steps ahead when it comes to storm damages.
Looking for a roofing company that you can trust?
Contemporary Exteriors, Inc. specializes in storm damage services and caters to Lake in the Hills IL residents. Our workers are equipped with industry-grade knowledge on roof repair services. Let our team put an end to your worries and problems. Call us today 847.201.4209 or visit us at 5231 Greenshire Circle Lake in the Hills, IL 60156.